Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Things I was NEVER meant to do!

Ok so there are actually a lot of things I am not good at, but this has been a particularly frustrating week, because I have had a couple of projects right in a row that have been very challenging for me. First off Ethan wanted to learn to sew, so I asked him what he wanted to learn to make, he said a Teddy Bear for Aunt Alli's new baby. Sounded easy enough. I don't sew, but really how hard could it be? So off to JoAnns to get a pattern and material. Kaden then decided he wanted to make one too. Ok no big deal, great learning opportunity for the boys right? So Kaden and I started on his a week ago. Here is some of the process.....
The very first piece we sewed together, not too bad yet.....

Kaden keeps wanting to use the sewing machine, not really a project for him, I am having a very difficult time putting all these silly little pieces together, and reading a pattern, what? The pattern says "Simplicity", such a lie!Ok, so here is our eyeless, dog/bear/retro rhino. I had about 8 left over pieces, who knows where they were supposed to go. Yeah I hope Aunt Alli appreciates the effort, because I am soooo done with sewing!

Project number 2: Kaden's bike tire. He rides his bike so fast down the hills and then slams on his brakes he wore through the tire and tube on his bike. So it's a small bike I should be able to fix it with no problem. We headed out to Wal-mart this morning and picked up the new tire and tube. So we get home and start the switch.How many tools does it take to change a tire?
Well 30 minutes later of trying to get the tire off of the rim and many annoying "mom, why don't you have it off yet", I got out the scissors, "not even close", the saw, "nope". The razor blade, "sorta" then the metal snippers "yes". And to make things worse it was the back tire, so that means a lot of bolts and the chain and the guard have to come off. I got them off first try, getting them back on, now that is a different story. It took me three trys to get the chain bolted back in the right place, that means I put it all back together three different times and realized each time it still wasn't right....AARGGH!!
Yeah, done and yes it works. Next time I will leave it for Karl. And surprisingly no left-over parts. Yeah me! But my hands are bloody and greasy, but what a sense of accomplishment. So yes I would have to say I would fix a bike again before I would try sewing another teddy bear. "Yeah it was that bad"!

Porter too was tired of this project, he was ready to hit it with his tool! :)

5 comments:

John and Laura said...

you are hilarious. Oh, how I wish you were my neighbor. I love you!

Kyle & Alli said...

haha the effort is greatly appreciated! It looks great and I'm sure it will be very loved :)

Jenny said...

What a woman!!!! WOW Kelli, that is awesome teaching your kids to sew and fix a bike in one week. Very well rounded!!!!

Kathleen said...

Are you trying to make me look bad. I think I read to my kids this week, wait, that was last week. Maybe this week I can do something with them! Bikes and sewing, fine, you can be mother of the year this time :-)

Holli McHot Hot said...

okay this is the first time in like 4 months i have been on so forgive me for the delayed response...but i have to admit that not only did you do a great job on making the scariest looking teddy bear i have ever seen, but you did it with 2 boys! no wonder they wanted to give it away... i wouldn't want that thing in my room at night either. lol Just kidding. seriously it isn't that bad... in fact it is almost recognizable as a bear! lol